Friday, April 4, 2008

* Returning home (tear...)

Well I've arrived home safely with only a annoying holdup at the Tel Aviv airport - due mostly to 'my honestly'. There is a reason why Israel airports/airlines are one of the safest in the world - security. I must have been searched by every security man/women/dog - as a result of telling the truth about a darling camel/candle item stowed away, deep, in the bowels of my luggage. 'A gift' is not a word you want to admit to when traveling through Israel's airport unless you have unlimited time/patience/humor.
Continuing the adventure..
Fortunately the airport frisking pales in memory to our final days in Israel. After our brief visit to Akko, my white knuckled cousin & I finally ended our day in Haifa. Haifa, the largest port city, is mainly built on and around Mt. Carmel. Yes, this is where Elijah challenged 450 prophets of Baal, in a contest at the altar on Mount Carmel to determine whose deity was genuinely in control of Israel and the world.
The ascent to our hotel, located close to the top of the Mt, was terribly steep. What seemed like not more than 30 km from the base to the top, took us almost 2 hrs because of the horrendous traffic - unfortunately our car was a manual. BTW, for those curious, petrol/gasoline was a whopping $8 per gallon. I understand that the cost is high b/c oddly enough Israel doesn't produce any oil, though it seems to be surrounded by it.
That evening, we were joined by the newlyweds and would be blessed with their company for the next 3 days. I had a chance to spend some quality time with Estelle earlier and so I was delighted that Moshe & Renee, found some time to spend with us - before our final send off. (I've known these two girls since they were 4 & 5, taking over their bedroom for my many visits to Vancouver. B.C, so its a real joy to see them all grown up)
Caesarea & Tel Aviv:
Finally, we had a native speaker on board. Although getting around on English is fairly easy, there are still plenty of places where you won't find English speakers. Plus spending some time with Moshe would give me some quality time to scrutinize whether or not he was a 'good' man. (he passed with flying colors, of course) He is not only a bright man, he's got that 'manly initiative' that we three girls appreciated when traveling, (parking, asking for directions, driving, luggage care and making sure we were all safe and secure).
1/2 way between Haifa & Tel Aviv, on the coast, we find Ceasarea, a well preserved Roman city built rivaling Jerusalem as one of the grandest. It was built by Herod the Great (and mean). Here my imagination didn't need to be engaged to much as there was plenty of its architecture was preserved well. Not only did we walk in the footsteps of kings but we ate like royalty. (photos still on the way)
Our arrival into Tel Aviv was anticipated as we were only a 10 min. walk from the beach. Finally, the Mediterranean was at our doorstep, though the only time I glimpsed it was while driving. That evening, we finished it with a trip to the mall & an american movie (as if I need the crude reminder of what was awaiting for me) Tel Aviv is the most international and cosmopolitan of all the cities visited. This is the city of non-stop action, with the religious differences not as overt as in Jerusalem or other places.
With Krissy & Tovia joining us the next day, the group was (almost) complete. Shock was slowly settling in as I realized I only had a day left with this gang. I had grown attached to Gracie, having spent 2 solid weeks with her, rooming/sharing meals/exploring with one of my favorite cousins. I was especially grateful though for having a most unique opportunity to see this unique area of the world and in the company of my blood peeps. Shalom.....