Saturday, August 23, 2008

* Chicago in the rear view mirror

I’ve returned from my summer in Chicago in a terribly dismayed state – wishing my current residency was still lively Lakeview, IL. Yes, I know that MI is my birthplace, the location of my present day life and that of many of my friends (although many of them have escaped this gloomy state to seek out greener pastures outside its borders) & family so why do I feel so disheartened now that I'm back? Perhaps its because the offerings in Chicago seem to encompass more excitement to the single gal , then this gloomy State. I’m especially missing the heaps of people milling about outside their residences, filling up the streets and taking in the goings-on that a big city presents and are not holed up in their suburban habitat, reluctant to leave their comfy couch and 50 ft plasma tv.

I'll come to miss the public transport scene, which was a terrific source of constant amusement for me– not to mention exercise. A simple 2-mile trip to 'Trader’s Joe’s' took me over 1.5 hrs - (walk/wait/bus/walk/wait/walk/repeat) by car it would only take15 min . I know what your thinking…this is all good and fun Liz while its summer but when the Chicago winter kicks in you’ll be wishing your butt was back in the suburbs. Perhaps there some truth in that.

Fortunately, I was able to meet some really agreeable Chicagoans during my stay which made my time there all the more memorable . There was Jadza & Ela, who were my Saturday cohorts. They were from the Polish SDA church, which was quite a jaunt from my apt, but a delight for me to attend and it kept my polish from getting to rusty (Jak sze masz?) . Seeing as Chi is a metropolis of 6 million, it was easy to meet people, and chat up strangers on the street or train – something I'm quiet proficient at now

For my final weekend, my boys from the Hood (Rami/Rick/Paul) drove over to enjoy the annual Chicago air/land show and on Sunday, reluctantly took me and my few meager belongings back to MI (there was some kicking, some screaming and definately a few tears) . I'm now attempting to fuction through the fog of Chicago memories, but I'm sure I'll adjust shortly (while secretly making it future plans to escape MI once again, this time NYC :-)

BTW: During the month of July, I celebrated the 10th anniversary of my double lung transplant. Raise the roof - whoop, whoop!