Saturday, September 5, 2009

* Hey, where'd all the time go??

I'm sitting here, back in the old US of A, wondering why I only committed to one month in Prague. Perhaps I wasn't aware how terribly fast one month can pass.....there was weak effort enlisted to possibly stay in Budapest for a few more weeks, but that quickly died. Plus I had a post-vacation, vacation planned on my return - you know, something needed to recuperate from the actual vacation.
The cast of 'couchsurfer' characters continued to arrive. It's actually quite entertaining to see the reaction of my American friends when I tell them about this 'couchsurfing' gig I was a part of. Americans seem to be under the impression that every stranger that enters someones home is either a thief or murderer and I've heard criticisms from 'how could I do this'...and 'that wasn't too smart of you'. I've since stopped trying to explain....
Unfortunately Czech locals aren't the friendlies, and they share this trait with the Poles, and most of Eastern Europe. After you get past the initial meeting, however, they are very kind and welcoming. Having the couch surfers not only gave me company, but it taught me heaps about the cities and cultures they come from.
One traveler that came to stay with me, Jose, was from Barcelona -he simply couldn't praise his city enough. He thought that BCN was the coolest city in all of the world. There was such enthusiasm and passion in his description, that in all honesty, it makes me want to visit (add to list). His special talent was cooking and teaching others how, so it was a joy to see my lovely kitchen finally put to good use before my departure. I also had a mum/daughter team stay with me, from Quebec. Since English was a 2nd language to all of them, I made conscious efford to pronounce my words clearly and talk slower than I would normally. I know from my mum's experience that listening to an American fast talk, keeps her struggling to keep up and understand.
Although I didn't do much sightseeing outside the city, I did get a chance to visit 'Kutna Hora' and the bone church. You heard right. An artist, some yrs ago, thought it would be a good idea to dig up all the graves surrounding the church and use every bone in them to enhance the churchs astethics. One can actually see a chandelier made of bones. Honestly, one of the most unique sites I've seen.
One of the skills I acquired was the ability to play 'tour guide' to this fabulous city. I've always enjoyed showing others my city, so albeit this wasn't my city, it was still a pleasure to do. (hence the travel agent profession I choose). I became that umbrella holding guide you see being followed by eager tourists (minus the group). I in turn, got to know intimately the sites the city and the sites worth seeing, which tram/bus to take where, the local Czech restaurants/cafes and Prague's #1 attraction -the Castle district by heart. The thing I had to get used to were the late nights out. It seemed like they all enjoyed staying out as long into the night as possible - one saying 'he could sleep when he's dead' (hmm) and well, that's just something you don't do too much of here in the Detroit area where everything seems to close at twilight.
Tiago, a Brazilian who spends 1/2 his life offshore on an oil rig, also endeared his city of Rio de Janeiro to me. I recently read that Brazilians consider themselves to be the 'happiest people in the world' - makes me wonder where we from Michigan are on that list. What do you think...dead last?
At the end of my stay, my brother and Edyta, picked me up and drove the 6 hrs back to home base in Warsaw Poland. Returning home, after having spent a month in one of the most scenic and striking cities in all of Europe, was much more difficult, then from past trips. I will miss the whole community feel that it offered, in addition to the car-less existence I had. (not to mention delicious fruits, pasteries and ice cream) So the need for tomorrow's week long adventure - a self-drive trip to New England's picturesque towns (Maine, NH, MA, RI) is exactly what is needed to recover and get acclimated back into American culture - don't you agree.